Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ashes of Grief

Ash Wednesday is an appropriate day to announce that our time in Cameroon has come to an end (see January 10 post). It’s not our choice, nor our decision. We’re not happy about it, and we’re greatly heartbroken.

Ashes represent, of course, repentance and fasting. But they can also signify loss, grief, the end.

And that’s exactly where we find ourselves at the moment. We’re at the end of a significant chapter in our life, which has come quicker than we expected. Though given a chance to accept reassignment by the Board, our plans now are to return to the Dallas area, where the children have already settled into school. Beyond that, I don’t have a clue what will happen ... I’m still in shock myself.

I plan to bring this blog to its natural end once I get back to Texas. But until then, I’ll keep it going, and try to keep all of you informed on our whereabouts, plans, and future. We ask that you simply keep praying for us, for our extended family, and for the people of the United Methodist Church of Cameroon.