Sunday, February 11, 2007

Blessing of a ... Motorbike?

A few weeks ago, I blogged about blessing my new laptop. But this morning, I had a similar experience with a motorcycle.

While worshipping in Obala, a woman brought her new motorbike to the church for a blessing. Pastor Lemec told me that was going to start a new bush taxi business with it, but that she wanted to have it blessed first -- she wanted to consecrate it to the Lord.

Sounded good to me, so we anointed it with oil, blessed it, and sent her on her way! Perhaps in a culture where people have so few possessions, there is a more acute sense of stewardship.

For those of you living and ministering in a Western context, what would it mean if people brought their vehicles, their homes, and their businesses to the church for blessing?