Monday, December 04, 2006

The Annual Geneva Trip

Where have I been since Thanksgiving ... and my last post?

Only Geneva, Switzerland.

Yes, it was time for the annual Francophone United Methodist Training Conference. My friends from Cote d'Ivoire, Congo, Kenya, Senegal, France and Switzerland were there, along with reps from the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, and General Board of Global Ministries.

It's not a highly entertaining meeting to blog about, though. That's why you haven't heard much from me lately. Normally, I might get excited about the sights and sounds of Geneva, but I didn't have much time for sightseeing this time. I did get a gingerbread latte from Starbucks, and even got to see the new Martin Scorcese flick. But otherwise, I was stuck in a meeting room discussing the state of Wesleyan theology in post-colonial African seminaries.

The most relevant subject for Cameroon was the progress of the Francophone Course of Study materials for local preachers-in-training. Though the course description and agenda was approved at General Conference 2004, it doesn't look like the materials are going to be ready for use until late 2007. I've even been drafted to write some of the units.

Then there was a discussion about the creation of an association of Methodist-related theological schools in Africa, and a report on the ongoing efforts to translate the Book of Discipline into French ....

OK, OK, I can tell that your eyes are drooping even as you read this. So why don't I stop here and simply say that it was a lovely trip ...? It was great to see the Christmas lights and don the sweaters for a change.

But later this week, I'll spill the beans on racial profiling on Cameroonian city streets, and tip you off on some big changes coming in the Mission Office. More excitement coming soon!