Saturday, April 23, 2005

Notes from Geneva

Greetings from Geneva! I am here in Switzerland for a meeting with Dr. S T Kimbrough and other Francophone Methodists. We have been talking about the possibility of producing a French-language hymnal.

Believe it or not, at this moment in history, twenty percent of United Methodists worldwide are French-speakers! Tragically, very little has been done to meet the worship and literature needs of this huge audience.

I was also surprised to discover that in almost 300 years of Methodist history, there are only eight existing French translations of Charles Wesley hymns.

Hopefully, that is all about to change ... The conference ends today (Saturday), but I am "stuck" here until Tuesday. I know, I know, it`s hard to feel sorry for me.

When I get home, I will be happy to post some wonderful pictures of Geneva. And I am enjoying the COLD weather. I haven`t felt this cold since ... well, winter of 2003!

I will be back online in a few days. Go in peace!